01737 84231101737 844475

Hiring a Skip FAQ’s

Can I hire a skip during lockdown?

As new Lockdown measures come into effect from the 5th November, we are pleased to confirm that J and J Franks will remain open and fully operational.

We have health and safety measures in place to protect the wellbeing of our staff, suppliers, customers and general public and have ensured all our sites and services are COVID-secure.

We will do all we can to assist and support you during this very difficult time.

When can I have my Skip?

Our delivery times are Monday to Friday 7:00 to 17:30 and Saturdays 7:00 to 12:00. We can arrange specific drop off and collection times, so please let us know if you require this. We can usually offer a same day service, but would suggest you give us 24hours notice to ensure your requirements can be met.

Where can I place my skip?

For householders correct positioning of the skip is vital. A skip needs to allow for a 9ft entrance and is up to 12ft long. Most drives are suitable but, thought should be taken to the quality of the surface; as lorries can be heavy. Tell us what you have. Also you may have exposed drain covers, low branches, or a restricted access.

Please do not hesitate to call Franks for advice, we are often happy to come and discuss with you the best way to place your skip.

What if there’s no room here for my skip?

Franks has several options to offer you, and sometimes one of our ‘grab loaders’ may be a better solution for you. A grab loader is a tipper lorry with a hydraulic arm and bucket that can reach over walls and obstructions and is ideal where there is no suitable space in which to place a skip. You simply organize with Franks a time when our driver can come and ‘grab’ your waste. We can also offer a “wait and load” service where our driver will park whilst you load the skip. If in any doubt talk to Franks and we will do our best to help.

Can I have a skip on the road, verge or pavement outside of my property?

Yes, however you will require a Skip Permit/Licence from your local council. We can arrange this permit for you however, the councils do charge a fee for the licence and it can take a couple of days to arrange.

What can I put in my skip?

Most types of building waste can be taken including bricks, rubble, wood, glass, soils, plastics and so on. Please note, you must keep all contents inside your skip: If things stick out it may be dangerous for pedestrians and drivers. You must not overfill your skip as it is illegal.

Environmental legislation restricts these wastes within the skips: asbestos, computer monitors, televisions, aerosols, gas canisters, paint cans, fridges or freezers. However, subject to prior notification we can deal with these waste types for you. Also, a fire must never be started in a skip. Please contact us for further information.

If you have any doubts talk to Franks first.

What happens to my waste?

Franks (J & J Franks Limited) possess a valid Waste Carrier License and operates licensed waste facilities that are strictly monitored and controlled by the Environment Agency. The waste is transported to our own on-site Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), where it is screened to recover all recyclable materials. Every effort is made to avoid sending waste to landfill.

J & J Franks is authorised to dispose of inert waste to landfill at our Betchworth Site under Environment Agency Permit number BV 3693 IU.

Environment Agency Waste Management Licence Number EAWML 83667 allows J & J Franks Ltd to recycle and process household and commercial waste and hazardous materials including asbestos and WEEE waste.

How long do I have the skip for?

When you have filled the skip, simply call Franks to arrange its collection. Skip hire period is 10 days.

How can I pay for my skip?

Payment including VAT is payable in advance via the telephone or payment on delivery.

Request Form

For more information on any of our waste services or if you would like us to contact you please complete the form below or call us 01737 842311